据乡贤老前辈口述所得，约于公元1866年前，同乡先辈航海南来，在槟岛落脚。为祈求平安，乡贤守望相助，在槟城义兴街海记栈对面，租屋设馆供奉天后圣母(婆祖)及108兄弟公等神祗，馆宇因陋就简，经费仅靠香油捐来维持。 公元1895年，周衡山、王锡福、杨成茂、冯尔志、周飞钊、朱仁育、曹俊琪、 林英文、邢泉清诸先贤等，将义兴街庙址售出，并发起捐款，购买地皮，在南华医院街九十三号兴建海南会馆永久基业。
益华学校创办于1913年，当时仅设夜校，校址在南华医院街。发起人为曾任《光华日报》编辑李永辉及郑一书、朱仁育、朱益三等。首任校长为《光华曰 报》主笔杨因冰。益华学校在1915年开办日校,却在翌年停办。直到1919 年，庄春华及庄家钵目睹失学儿童日增，才获得复办。
PENANG HAINAN ASSOCIATION
Around 1866, the Hainanese community in Penang established a temple and dedicated it to the Sea Goddess, Mazu,妈祖. This temple, known as "Thean Hou Keong”，天后宫（Temple of the Heavenly Queen), fulfilled religious needs of the Hainan community and served as a social centre. About thirty years later in 1895，the temple was relocated to Muntri Street, where it continues to stand today.The land and construction cost for the new temples was raised through public donations. The new temple continued to serve religious and social needs of the Hainan community.
In 1925，the temple became a clan association through a name change from "Temple of the Heavenly Queen” to "Penang Kheng Chew Association", 槟城琼州会馆. The clan association continued to function till the fall of Penang to the Japanese in 1941 and was only able to resume activity in 1945 after the end of World War Two.In the post war period, the clan association established hospitals, scholarship funds, schools and economic development projects to serve their community. The clan association also worked with other Chinese groups to establish the Penang Chinese Conference Hall located next to the oldest temple in Penang, the Kong Hock Keong,广福宫 also know as the Guan Yin temple.
In 1991，the association was renamed as Penang Hainan Association,海南会馆,embracing a wider ethnic identity. By this time, the temple was almost a hundred years old and had weathered world wars and major social change.
To celebrate this historical milestone, a committee was formed to oversee a major restoration of the temple. Expert craftsmen were from China were invited to participate in the restoration work. The project was completed in 1997 and the restored temple is decorated with stone carvings depicting stories of Mazu and popular legends.
The central shrine is dedicated to Mazu, the sea goddess, and to her left is a shrine dedicated to Goddess of the Waterfront 水尾娘娘，a deity from Hainan Island in China. The right shrine is dedicated to 108 brothers.